Nutty and Healthy Date Balls
I learned really quickly when I had my son that snacks needed to be readily available at all times. When this kid gets hungry, BOY IS HE UNREASONABLE.
So i began searching the aisles of my local grocery stores for the healthiest, tastiest snacks to keep on hand for when that hunger strikes. Want to take a guess what i realized? Nothing i can buy in those aisles is as healthy or delicious as something i can prep for my son at home. I tried every snack bar made and realized the ingredients were simple.. why not try making them myself in a fun ball shape?! Enter my delicious nutty date balls.
First of all, these little dudes are packed with the most incredibly healthy ingredients. Did you know that dates are extremely rich in fiber, pack a healthy amount of calories to keep your body nourished, and fully stocked with disease fighting antioxidants. It’s incredible.
What i love most about these date balls is that even though they’re super duper healthy, they taste like your’e eating a chocolate bar. No joke. If you close your eyes and take a bite, you may or may not think you’re eating a delicate truffle or a nutty candy bar. It’s seriously heavenly.
My second favorite thing about this recipe is that it actually takes about 5 minutes to pull together and depending on the size of your balls, you can make a bunch of them that you can stick in an airtight container and eat throughout the week. It’s fantastic for snacks or with a cup of coffee or tea. I honestly love eating this with my coffee in the morning. I get my healthy dose of nutrients, i feel full and it tastes indulgent.
Give this recipe a try! Share your comments and some love. If you make this recipe and share it on social media, tag it with the hashtag #hungrilyhomemaderecipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 10-15 balls depending on size
1. 13 oz of date paste (i use Ziyad brand date paste which already comes in a 13 oz package)
2. 1/4 cup of your favorite nut butter (I use Nuttzo 7 nut and seed butter)
3. 1/4 cup whole shelled pistachios
4. 1/4 cup crushed pistachio or 1/4 flaked coconut depending on which you like better)
1. Prep a small bowl with your crushed pistachios or your flaked coconut and set aside.
2. in a small mixing bowl, mix together your date paste and your nut butter until well combined. Use your hands to knead the paste with the butter. You’ll achieve the most well combined result this way.
3. Form small balls with your date paste (you can chose the size you like) and create an indent in each ball.
4. Place 1-2 whole shelled pistachios inside the date ball and close each ball up by pinching shut and rolling the ball between your hands to reform the desired ball shape.
5. Roll each date ball into you small bowl of crushed pistachios and allow all sides to be coated with the pistachios.
4. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before eating. The refrigeration process will firm the date paste and nut butter mixture. Enjoy at all times of the day!