When time is short (most days for me), i look to pull together a healthy, delicious and quick meal that everyone loves.
That’s really what this Orzo Salad is. It’s a hodgepodge of yummy ingredients that just work well together. The flavor of the dressing soaks into the veggies, cheese and orzo pasta making it even yummier as leftovers. Now, let me address one thing here, you don’t HAVE to use the same veggies that i use in this salad. They’re DELICIOUS as is, but if you don’t like olives, well, dang, don’t add those olives! You can substitute any veggies you like here, but keep in mind that you don’t want to overwhelm it with too many overpowering flavors or textures. I think a fantastic addition to this salad would be some roasted veggies like bell peppers and zucchini! Absolutely YUMMY.
Orzo is fantastic because while it’s still technically a pasta, it looks like a delicate and elegant rice which i think adds a little summin’ summin’ to dinner parties!
I also wanted to note that the real special sauce here is the dressing. The mustard and sumac together are OUT OF THIS WORLD delicious. Just such a perfect combination and so quick to pull together (if you don’t have little hands picking at all of the ingredients while you’re trying to make it, like i always do!)
Give this recipe a try! Share your comments and some love. If you make this recipe and share it on social media, tag it with the hashtag #hungrilyhomemaderecipe
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
for the salad
1. 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
2. 1 tbsp olive oil
3. 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn
4. 1 cup chopped zucchini
5. 1 large tomato, diced
6. 1 cup kalamata olives, sliced in half
7. 1 avocado, diced
8. 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
9. 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
for the dressing
1. 3 tbsp dijon mustard
2. 1 tbsp sumac
3. 1 tsp herb de provence
4. 1 clove garlic, crushed
5. 1/4 cup olive oil
6. 4 tbsp lemon juice or 1 lemon, juiced
7. 1 tsp salt
8. 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. In a large skillet, add your olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the corn and zucchini to the hot pan and allow both to char and cook through. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat after 5-8 minutes of cook time.
2. Cook your pasta by bringing a pot of water to boil and seasoning it with salt, generously. Add your pasta in once the water has boiled and keep the heat on medium. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until al dente and they still have a bite. Once they’ve completed cooking, remove from heat immediately, drain, and run under cold water so the pasta stops cooking. Set aside and allow to cool while you combine your other ingredients. Make your dressing while the pasta cooks.
3. While your pasta is cooking, prepare your dressing by whisking all of the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and setting aside until ready to dress the salad.
4. Add all of your salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with your dressing. Toss the salad together and serve immediately or serve chilled!