Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
I have a serious problem when it comes to ice cream. If i see it, it will be eaten. The whole thing.
So one thing i’ve learned is that when i bring an entire tub to the couch and promise myself not to eat the whole thing, i’m usually lying and i must be stopped like a child in order to not eat the while thing. I figured out though that if i put a small serving into my bowl and take that to my desired spot to eat it, i’m super unlikely to come . back to the freezer for more. So i started really honing in on that. So why not make individual ice cream sandwiches to limit your servings of ice cream!? Awesome idea…. but it didn’t really account for the fact that i was actually eating ice cream and two cookies…. All of that to say, if you’re on some sort of a diet, this would not be the dessert for you. This is decadent, creamy, sweet and so reminiscent of your childhood, but fancier.
I love this recipe because your’e forced to make the cookies first, which gives your the power to… oh… lets say, accidentally double the cookie recipe… oops.
All jokes aside, i love that you can eat delicious cookie and delicious ice cream sandwiches all in one. It’s such a fun blast from my past. My favorite part is rolling them around in whatever toppings you choose! I adore my crushed pistachios for this! I hope you love this recipe as much as we do in my house! I know the inner kid in you is going to squeal when you try this!
If you make this recipe, leave your comments here! We’d love to know how you liked it. If you post this remake on social media, use the hashtag #hungrilyhomemaderecipe! We’d love to see your version!
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 10 individual sandwiches
for the cookies
3/4 cup salted butter melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate of choice
for the ice cream & filling
2 pints of your favorite ice cream to fill your cookie sandwiches
1/2 cup pistachios crushed
3/4 cup marshmallow candy
1. Stir your melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined.
2. Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix until lighter in color.
3. Add in the flour, baking soda and salt, mix until well combined. Add your chocolate chips and mix by hand.
4. Refrigerate the batter for 20 minutes to allow the butter to be well absorbed into the dough.
5. Preheat oven to 325. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and scoop cookie dough onto prepared pans forming large balls and pressing gently to begin forming the cookie shape.
6. Bake 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 5 minutes on the hot baking sheet before removing and setting cookies on a cooling rack.
7. Once your cookies have cooled completely, place sheets of saran wrap on your counter top, lay two cookies flat and place two large scoops of ice cream onto one cookie, piling high. Place your second cookie on top of the ice cream topped cookie and press gently to flatten and allow the ice cream to come to the edges of the cookie.
8. Roll your ice cream sandwiches into your pistachios and marshmallows.
9. Wrap your ice cream sandwiches each in individual pieces of saran wrap. Be sure to seal the sandwich well to ensure it doesn’t become freezer burned.
10. Freeze your sandwiches for at least an hour. When ready to eat, allow to thaw for 6-10 minutes before eating to allow the cookie to come to room temperature.