Creamy Feta & Caramelized Onion Shredded Chicken Sandwich
I love the days when I have left over chicken or the chance to buy a juicy rotisserie chicken. They makes for the most delicious Greek inspired chicken sandwiches that you can’t possibly just eat one of.
This recipe was created out of my love for zero-waste. I’m a huge proponent of eating your leftovers until they’re all gone. However, I know how boring it can be to eat be same meal over and over and over again. Sometimes you crave a fresh new meal. So in my home, I create brand new dishes out of left overs and honestly, I’m really good at it. 90% of the time my husband has no idea he’s eating the same mwuahahaha….
Chicken can be so hard to repurpose sometimes because it can develop that overly chicken-y stank. In Arabic we call it zan5a. It refers to the musty chicken flavor. It can happen when chicken isn’t fresh or if it hasn’t been prepared properly. My husband is extra sensitive to this and really can’t eat leftover chicken if it’s not done right. That’s why I developed this recipe to mask any potential zan5a flavor.
What works magic here is two things- 1) the way you reheat the chicken before tossing it in the sauce 2) the vinegar, mayo, mustard and herbs in the sauce. The creamy tartness in the sauce masks any potential of an off-putting, old chicken flavor peaking through.
This recipe really is the perfect way to use up your left over chicken. It’s perfect with grilled chicken or rotisserie chickens but works just fine with baked chicken as well! However, I do want to note that this recipe isn’t exclusive to just leftover chicken. It’s a bomb chicken sandwich so I regularly just make a fresh bunch of grilled chicken, shred it up and use it for these sandwiches! No need to limit it to leftovers! If you’re looking for a fantastic grilled chicken recipe, check this one out. It’s so good. Juice literally drops from it. Irresistible.
Give this recipe a try! Share your comments and some love. If you make this recipe and share it on social media, tag it with the hashtag #hungrilyhomemaderecipe
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 3 adult servings
for the sandwich
1. 3 cups shredded chicken
2. 1 tbsp olive oil
3. 1/2 yellow onion sliced into long strips
4. 1/2 red bell pepper sliced into strips
5. 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
6. 3 brioche buns
7. 1/2 cup hummus (use your favorite hummus or make your own- if you need a recipe, check this one out!
for the sauce
1. 1/2 tbsp whole grain mustard
2. 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
3. 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4. 1 lemon, juiced
5. 2 tsp salt
6. 1/2 tsp herb de Provence
1. In a skillet, heat up your olive oil and add your onions. Allow the onions to sauté until they become soft and translucent. Keep the temperature at medium to ensure you don’t burn them. Once the onions have softened, add the bell peppers and continue sautéing until the peppers and onions are caramelized. This process should take 10 minutes. Ensure you stir them occasionally.
2. Mix your sauce by whisking all of the ingredients together and set aside.
3. In a sauté pan, add your shredded chicken and toss them for 2 minutes until all of the chicken gets a touch of the heat but does not get too hot & cooked. You want it to feel slightly warm to the touch but not burning hot.
4. Toast your buns in an oven or toaster oven and then spread them on one side each with your hummus.
5. In a mixing bowl, toss together your chicken and the sauce you made until all of the chicken is coated. Add a scoopful of chicken onto each sandwich on top of the hummus spread.
6. Top your chicken with the onion and pepper mix followed by the feta cheese crumbles. Add your top bun, serve with your favorite side and enjoy!